Each portfolio included thirteen signed and numbered art prints - one by each artist. Rick Griffin's work is the same art that appears on the portfolio cover, but without the silver embossment. This item is the signed Rick Griffin art only. It is not quite mint - see photo - the top left corner has a bend, and other minor signs of handling. Apparently this print got separated from its portfolio and was not protected by the folder.
Portfolio of Underground Art (Pub. Schanes and Schanes, 1980). The portfolio as issued included (a) a portfolio cover – greyish textured art stock, with an embossed, black and silver image of the title and tile image by Rick Griffin. (b) Inside are thirteen black on white plates with exclusive art by the top Underground cartoonists of the time. Artists include Rick Griffin (his cover art is also reproduced on a plate inside), Dan O'Neill, Jack Jackson (Jaxon), Spain Rodriguez, Robert Williams, Rand Holmes, Robert Crumb, the late Rory Hayes, Larry Todd, Guy Colwell, Gary Hallgren, S. Clay Wilson, and Greg Irons. Each plate is hand-signed by the artist and numbered. Each set has matching numbers. The project planned an issue of 1,200 sets. (c) Each set includes a matching-numbered 32-page booklet with artist bios and photos of all the artists. The booklet also includes a sketch by Victor Moscoso, who had to drop out of the project before completing his page. The portfolios were originally shipped in white paper envelopes with the Schanes & Schanes logo printed on it.
At one point in my collecting fenzy, I acquired from Shanes & Schanes a few “extra” booklets (not numbered), an extra portfolio cover, and some Rick Griffin portfolio cover art (which had been trimmed out of the “extra” portfolio covers). All in all, I will be offering here in Summer of Love Posters the following items:
· Two complete sets of the Portfolio of Underground Art.
· Two signed, numbered individual Rick Griffin prints from the Portfolio of Underground Art
· One portfolio cover, in near mint condition. If you are missing your portfolio cover, get this now before someone else does.
· Two portfolio booklets, original issue but not numbered. If you are missing the booklet, get it here while it is available.
· Several trimmed cover art prints, ideal for framing, of the Rick Griffin art, black and silver embossed on the original portfolio cover stock. If you have a set of prints, this makes a nice add-on for display purposes. If you don’t own a set, this is a great way to buy the Griffin art without having to buy the whole set.